Valentine’s Day again, and so soon after Christmas and New Year’s Eve, isn’t it? The thought of February 14 conjures up utter fear in the hearts and minds of many husbands, boyfriends and would-be boyfriends for fear of disappointing her. There are best corporate gifts for clients of your company, but your girl is uniquely different. Here to help are five sensible and sensitive suggestions for under $100. Even better, a few more that will cost you nothing, but are sure-fire winners for a romantic sort of gal.
Aside from a card, champagne, chocolates, or cardinal red roses, these are under $100 winners with a read-between-the-lines message on a sensible budget.
- Is there a woman who doesn’t like Chanel? Get her the perfect red lipstick, like Rouge Allure Passion ($34) from Chanel online. Addlipgloss(29.50). Your message will be clear, so that’s a lot of bang for your buck. Long-distance relationship? Problem solved: Chanel will ship free for Valentine’s Day, making it a whole lot cheaper and eco-friendly than parking downtown or driving to the mall.
- Is she into yoga,zumba, or spinning class? Drop into SenseClothing.com to freshen up her fitness attire in style while letting her know how much you appreciate her great, toned figure. Perhaps the activecami ($65) or flirt skirt ($69) in rouge? Two bonus points: this brand is ‘Made in the USA’ and shipping is free.
- A passionate animal lover will appreciate nothing more than a contribution in her name to a rescue home or wildlife organization. You’ll know if it’s the local dog or cat shelter, the Oceanic Preservation Society for dolphins and whales, or Leonardo DiCaprio’s campaign with the World Wildlife Fund, Save Tigers Now, that really sets her heart-a-flutter. You simply cannot go wrong and the planet thanks you, too.
- Similarly, make a donation to environmental or medical research in a field that hits close to home for her or for the two of you. Everyone has one or more. If the relationship is too new to know, but you’re saving the surprise, just ask her best friend or check her Facebook page likes.
- For a present that lasts and will have her renewing appreciation for both her mobile device and you, get her a selection of cool apps for her phone. Choose ones which you know she’d love but would never get for herself. It’s way better than a gift card, but you can always add that in as well. Just go on line to check the tutorials on how to gift an app.
Priceless, but free
- Draw her name in the sand. If you don’t live near the ocean or a body of water with sand, you can always try snow. Lacking snow, there’s not much to do but use shaving foam to draw on her bathroom mirror. Or, arrange tiles from Scrabble on her desk.
- Handwrite her a poem on pretty stationery. Use the internet for inspiration.It’sokay to cheat…a little. It will cost you 92¢ for two postage stamps, but if you’re quick, you can have the envelope for your poem postmarked in a town called Valentine or Loveland.
- Make dinner for two. Serve and dine by candlelight. Do the dishes as well, maybe later.
- Create a digital collage of photos from memorable moments you’ve shared.
- Change your Facebook status to “In a Relationship.” Yikes.